Saturday 12 June 2010

William H Turner( This is a work in progress)

     William was the type of person that was complicated. He didn't have just one side. He was born in Charleston SC in 1951. The first son of Rev. William H Turner, and Navy lieutenant. Bernice H Turner of Andrews SC. William moved a lot being the son of a Preacher. He spent some of is early youth in a place called Sandy Bay. He spoke fondly of this time.  He remembered shaking Mason jars of buttermilk on the porch.
     After some time in NC the family moved to Andrews SC. Andrews is located near the coast on HW 521. A small town with pride. Strong Christian community. A place entrenched in the deep southern problems of the time. His life was pretty simple for the most part. Fishing in Black River and horse ridding were two of his favorite activities. Family, friends,fishing, and fighting is mix in a little sports church and school. Well a lot of church. He loved the lord that value was instilled in him at an early age. P.H. church in Andrews was where they worshiped. A place full of the spirit. His Granddad owned a farm that he spent a lot of time on. He loved the old way of life, livin off the land.
         At age 14 he attended Marion Military Academe in AL. He excelled in the military environment. After Military School he moved back to Andrews. He attended Winyah Academe in Georgetown. After graduating from high school he moved to Myrtle Beach. He enrolled at Coastal Carolina. This is where he started getting in trouble.
        This was a unique time in our history, Civil Rights Movement, Vietnam, leaders assassinated. Well William made a big mistake hangin with people who were lost. He ended up in prison for four years. I will not get into the nature of the crime. I will just say it lead him to USC where he attended while in prison. He was a AA Trustee and drove the inmates on work release and then went to class. Eventually he  was released. That is around the time he met Kay Turner in Columbia S.C..

4 comments:

  1. Hey Son,
    I posted a comment earlier and tried to look at it and couldn't find it!! So, I'll try again. I'm sure your Daddy's very proud of this heartfelt effort you have started in his memory. This is a great tribute to his legacy and I'm sure it will be successful because it comes from your heart. What a wonderful way for him to be remembered, that of helping those less fortunate, Gods children. You make me want to be a better person. So, from your Daddy and me, I want to say, "thank you son" and may God Bless you and family. I love you all. Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. My goal is to help a few people a lot. Every donation will help. Although Dad wasn't homeless, he was sick. I saw first hand how hard it is to get small tasks accomplished. Maybe I can make it a little easier for some people in need. Dad would like that. William Turner

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is cool. i like hearing about daddy growing up, the things he did, etc.
    leeann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad today has been a hard one. I really need to talk to you. Why did you have to leave. I miss you.I love you. man o man.

    ReplyDelete