Thursday 17 June 2010

The Bird

I guess it was like summer of 2002. My dad, and I were at the house, broke on Sunday. And it was storming. We were really in need of a brake. I was prayin for something good to happen. Dad like always knew it would be ok.
As time past that day I started to get hungry. Thats when I heard a horn blow, beep.beep. I looked out the window and it was B-dog( Baron Richardson). I yelled "Come on in B". Baron walked in and said "What ya'll doing". I said "You see it". Dad started moving around, putting on shoes, getting his hat. B said "I got a few beers in the cooler do ya'll wanna ride?". Daddy was already in the car lol. So we rode to Morrisville only a few miles outside o f Andrews.
      The sky started getting dark, and the bottom fell out for 30min straight. Thunder, Lightning, Wind it was bad. We rode and talked about the days hot topics.Whos doing what, we laughed and joked just radom conversation. We decided to go to Reds landing.
    When we got out the car at Reds, Baron noticed a sign that said LOST BIRD $100 reward and had a very small photo of the bird on it. Baron a made comment that people are crazy, that the bird was gone. Me and my dad agreed their had been storms all day. At the same time we saw a bird dive bomb the back of dads neck. We both yelled " lookout" when the bird touched the back of Williams neck he started running around like the holy ghost was in him. Baron and me were laughing so hard we could not talk. Baron said,"Chill thats the bird!". I was like I know and it is a lot bigger than the pic suggested. It was an African Red Tail. Very Big. It had flew back it the trees where we couldn't see it, but we could here it laughing HAAhAAA. The bird was mocking us.
      Our cousin Bengie Dunn lived in one of the houses at the landing. So dad took off running to see if he was home to call the number on the flyer. I told B-dog "Watch this I know how to catch him" half joking. I went and stood in the middle of the pavement stretched my arms out and whistled a call. And the Bird dove from the top of a Cypress and was coming towards me. It landed on my shoulder, Baron said, "Stay still, don't move!" I couldn't I was in shock. About that time my Dad grabbed the bird from behind and screamed. The bird had bitten him. We ran to the car and headed for Watfords Grocery to use the phone. Baron kept saying "Mr. William Do not let the bird go". Daddy Kept saying "I got him I got him". Then Daddy screamed again and said "I cant hold him". Baron looked in the rear-view and said "You want that hundred dollars, you better hold that bird". The next thing Daddy said is "I think I broke its wing". We called the people and they lived at the landing so we went back to the landing. When we got there Greg Plummer and his wife were standing there with a bird cage. She was crying she was so happy. We gave them the bird and they gave us 99$. Dad said "Thank you and its wing maybe hurt". We left and started splitting the money up. Baron only wanted the money back for the beer. Thats the kind of friend Baron was.
    Now I am the only one who can tell the story So I did. God is great.

3 comments:

  1. wow i never heard that one! i remember learning how to swim at Red's landing. once daddy told me to hang on to one shoulder, and will to hang on to the other one. he swam with us like that all the way across the river to the other bank and back. it was so cool to see things from the other side of the river! he was so strong! all the things the other grown ups said no to, hed say sure, but let me go, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling this. It is just like things that always happened with William.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete